This need is for areas of the earth within which we stand without our mechanisms that make us immediate masters over our environment...

Howard Zahniser, on Wilderness

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Fecal Burial Sermon

Wow. I had a great weekend on the Lost Coast, this week. The weather was starting to feel like autumn and there was hardly anyone around. In addition, the tide zones were especially challenging--which is my chief amusement when I'm alone in the backcountry! I passed the northern tide zone at about 5' with moderate waves and it was certainly exciting. Several close calls. Note that I was NOT carrying a backpack!

I spent one night at Punta Gorda and a second night near where the Cooskie Creek Trail crosses Cooskie Creek. During the day on Saturday, I day-hiked to Spanish Flat. It was very quiet. I think I only saw four groups.

I spent one night at Punta Gorda and a second night near where the Cooskie Creek Trail crosses Cooskie Creek. During the day on Saturday, I day-hiked to Spanish Flat. It was very quiet. I think I only saw four groups.

I inspected the work that the SCA's did recently on the Cooskie and Cooskie Spur Trails. The wayfinding in this area and the quality of the tread are much improved, though it is a work in progress. Realize when you walk the Cooskie that you are in a remote part of the wilderness and will have to bring your backcountry navigation skills to bear.

One thing I noted this past weekend, in the middle of my campsite--or just off to the side but in clear view of my tent--was a real pet peeve of mine. I will share this with you. This is a story about human waste disposal at a site away from the ocean:

Perhaps this seems a vulgar image to see on the internet, but believe me it was a more vulgar image to share my campsite with.

I'm not naming names, but I figure that this is the backcountry blog so let's talk about what's on my mind, backcountrywise.

When we issue permits, we remind people that human feces must be buried 6-8" deep and 200' from a camp or water source. In the instance illustrated above, we find a human turd buried under a 6"-tall rock placed on the surface of the soil. The human waste has certainly been placed beneath 6" of overburden, which a base reading of the requirements do seem to imply. Really, though--this is unacceptable. Never mind that it was in the campsite which is only a stone's throw from the creek. BURYING feces means digging a hole which means carrying a trowel. The soils in the King Range are often hard and difficult to dig in so be prepared for this--bring a metal trowel! But be sure that your toilet is in compliance with the rules. There are reasons for these guidelines...

1. It's leave-no-trace. Nobody wants to look at it or smell it, so put it out of sight. That's the most obvious.
2. It's the biology of decomposition. In order to acheive rapid decomposition so the stuff is gone, put it in contact with as many soil microbes as possible--bury it and, if you have the heart, mix some soil in before you cover it up!
3. It's about disease prevention. If you leave your turd exposed, flies are going to find it. They will land and crawl all over it. Later, when another group uses the site, those same flies are going to land with their smelly legs in someone's oatmeal. This is one manner of fecal ingestion--eating someone else's poop--occurs and it is a great way for diseases to be transmitted.

You may not be sick--but the bacteria in your bowel may not sit too well with those in someone else's body. Please be careful of this.
I was going to combine this message with a post about upland water sources... but I feel silly now combining the two. So. Stay tuned while I go and wash my hands!

No comments: