This need is for areas of the earth within which we stand without our mechanisms that make us immediate masters over our environment...

Howard Zahniser, on Wilderness

Saturday, March 21, 2009

More snow in the King Range.

This week, I patrolled the Rattlesnake Trail and LCT. During my trip, I assessed hazards and trail conditions between Lightning Trailhead, King Peak, Bear Hollow, Big Flat, and Black Sands Beach. In the past few weeks, I have begun receiving many telephone calls regarding conditions on the Saddle-Rattle-Buck Loop. This patrol was in part to answer those questions.

If you are considering this loop trip and have any doubts about your abilities... consider something else at least until the next few storms pass through. There are about sixty trees down. The creek crossings are challenging, dangerous, or impossible. The trail is in some places covered by steep, icy snow which can send a falling down slopes of ridiculous steepness.

I know that this loop has been done by some parties this spring and I do not deny that it can be done--and safely if conditions permit. During and immediately following storms, however, this trip is not recommended.

Two days after a storm passed, I found the creek crossing near the confluence of the North and South Forks of Big Flat Creek to be dangerously high.


Where I crossed this torrent, it was waist deep and nearly lifted me off of my feet. Avoid taking a swim. If you come to a crossing like this, either turn back or wait it out. That same night, I camped at Big Flat. The creek level dropped a few inches overnight and continued to fall during the day.

The Lost Coast was in pretty good shape. Big Flat, Shipman, and Telegraph Creeks were deep enough I had to take off my shoes. Shipman was especially swift and may have been more challenging to cross at the beach than Big Flat.

This weekend, another storm is forecast to bring snow levels down to near 1000'. Upland trails may be impassable or very difficult all week. The middle of this week is forecast to be beautiful, however, and the beach may be a fine place to be.

Just remember, when setting out for an early-season trip on the Lost Coast: HAVE A PLAN B.
Don't leave your Plan B as "get rescued". Be prepared for intense conditions and be prepared to turn back or wait it out. Review weather and marine forecasts before coming. Carry a tide chart. Feel free to call our office if you have any concerns: 707-986-5400.

We're open Mon-Fri 8-4:30.

You can email me questions at derek_carr@ca.blm.gov.

2 comments:

Colin said...

Great Advice!
I did the the Saddle/Buck/Rattlesnake loop this past weekend and the warning on snow came a little late for me. We ended up with four inches of snow on top of a tarp shelter at maple camp on Saturday night. Cold and miserable and windy on the ridges. Plus, ripped rain pants from stumbling over so many down trees. Don't make the same mistake. Unless your super hard-core stick to the coast.

Kirigalpoththa said...

Beautiful Pictures! excellent Blog!!