This need is for areas of the earth within which we stand without our mechanisms that make us immediate masters over our environment...

Howard Zahniser, on Wilderness

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Long-time no hear!


And you wonder why I haven't been posting? It's because I've been out hiking the Lost Coast! Now is the time to be here. The weather has been beautiful and the crowds haven't yet decended upon us. We had a few busy weeks in March, during Spring Break, but all in all it has been quite fine.


So you're thinking of coming up this spring or summer? Great. Start planning your trip now. Check out this new tide chart I found. Find a place to rent a bear can before you come--if you're in the Bay Area or Southern Humboldt I can offer a few suggestions. Keep an eye on King Range's website for the latest fire restrictions. And pick up a backcountry permit at any trailhead.


I will make an effort to post through the spring and summer, here. There is a lot going on, but I do enjoy the writing and all of the great feedback. Take care. DC CARR, Backcountry Ranger, King Range NCA, 707-986-5405, derek_carr@ca.blm.gov.

No comments: